Friday, September 07, 2007

interesting wedding-related blogs

I'm working on editing two very big weddings from last weekend, and am SO excited to share them! In the meantime, I wanted to share a few wedding-oriented blogs that I've come across:

This one, the Paleo-Future blog, isn't typically about weddings, but about a term I love, "paleo-future: a look into the future that never was." This refers to things like the original Tomorrowland at Disneyland, and other supposedly futuristic technology, design, theories, and so on, that never actually came about. I am totally fascinated by this kind of thing... it ties into that whole, "where is my jet pack if this is the future?!" phenomenon; a combination of nostalgia for the optimism of the past, and relief that the present-future didn't turn out like the paleo-future. Follow me?

Anyway, it's got lots of great quotes from articles, illustrations from forward thinkers of the past century, and even some videos! I love these early-90s looks into the future of computer technology:








There are tons more here on the Paleo-Future blog - this guy really finds a LOT of cool sources.

I also recently came across a blog at ethicalweddings.com. This is a great resource for anyone looking for ideas and support in planning a green, local, organic, sustainable, cruelty-free, vegetarian/ vegan, or any other wedding that would fall under the term "ethical." From what I've read, it also just seems like an inspiring resource for couples who want to make their day about what is important to them - the approach is very friendly, not at all preachy, and a topic that seems to come up again and again for them is that often couples end up having an at-least-partially-green wedding because that is just what ends up representing their personalities and priorities the best. Lots of great D.I.Y. ideas as well! They seem mostly located in the UK (oh, my, wouldn't I love to do some British weddings!!), but there are some American bloggers on there as well - and it's fun to read a bit about the British wedding traditions anyway.

Then, of course, there's Indie Bride, which I know lots of you already know about. A bit tough to navigate in the "Kvetch" section, but a fabulous resource as well!

Finally - and this may be my favorite discovery this week - there is the blog "Godawful Wedding Crap". It is exactly what it sounds like - a blog listing some of the worst of items marketed towards people planning a wedding. I'm embarrassed to say that some of the funniest "crap" is wedding photography stuff, but, hey, everyone has a different asthetic.

But my very favorite post on that blog has to be the poem for your best man!!

And on that note, it's back to work for me :)

No comments: