Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Devon my love!!

Today is my wonderful, handsome, loving husband's birthday. I could go on and on about how he is the best but I will just say: Happy Birthday Devon! I love you!!





I can't believe it's already been almost three years since we got married (not to mention 9 that we've been together, and 14 - ! - since we met!).





I realize not everyone has known their spouse as a teenager, and I have to say, I feel really lucky in this regard, all of the time. I love that we grew up in the same hometown, have the same reference points, and can talk about old school Petaluma places, phenomenons and people without having to explain. We learned to swim in the same pool (where I later lifeguarded and taught swimming lessons); we went to the same concerts in high schools (where he sometimes played in his various bands); our moms shopped at the same grocery stores; my godmother subbed for his classes in elementary school... All of this contributes to us feeling even more like family. Gotta love the small towns!
If anything, I get bummed that I didn't meet him sooner, because I can picture his adorableness as a baby and little boy. Luckily, he is an even more awesome grown-up, and he brings out the goofiness in me.



Devon and his sister are are in Washington today to spend some time with their grandma and other family. Although I miss him, I'm glad he gets a chance to visit family, and can't wait until he comes home on Sunday. Here's a shot of them with Grandma Helen that I would put at around 1990:



And Dev and Alyssa, maybe in 1980:



One more great one... maybe 1988?



Love you Dev!! You get better and better... I thought you were pretty rad at 14, and I am head over heels in love with you at 28!





Putting this post together has made me realize: it's been far too long since I got to do portraits of Devon (much less of the two of us together!); blurry 20-year-old photos taken with rectangular 120 cameras are awesome!; and that I really hope to find time soon to start sharing some retro (70s and 80s) and vintage (20s through 60s) photos that my family have decided I am the archivist for. There are some great shots in boxes, and they must be shared!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well look at the happy scrappy scrapbook of the tale of Jessamyn and Devon. Happy Petaluma kids, teenagers and grown-ups.

We LIKE you guys!!
;-}