Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy and Hopeful Earth Day/ Equal Pay Day!

I swear there will be photos on this blog again soon, but for now I wanted to let you know that I am celebrating both Earth Day and Equal Pay Day by making donations to the Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition and the National Organization for Women!

The Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition is close to home and something that directly affects my life as well as all of the Earth Day ideals. They push for better bike paths, safer biking conditions, more biking to work, and even join the campaign for the SMART (Sonoma Marin Area Rapid Transit) train!

And here's a little info on the Equal Pay Day from NOW.org:

"When NOW was founded 42 years ago, women who worked full-time, year-round were paid, on average, just 58 cents for every dollar paid to men. Years of feminist advocating and agitating helped reduce the gap, but progress has hit a wall in the 21st century. Currently, women are paid 77 cents to the average man's dollar, while African-American women receive 63 cents and Latinas 52 cents on the dollar. These numbers have moved little since the mid-1990s."

I often think about the limitations that would've stopped me from running my own business even a few decades ago. I am so happy to live in a time and place where I have the freedom to do as I please, regardless of gender or orientation, and I hope we can keep on, as NOW states, "sharing equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities with men, while living free from discrimination." Heck yes! One of my favorite shirts when I was little (late 70s, early 80s) said "girls can do anything", and I hope that little girls today know it too.

That is your PSA for the day. I hope to make these kinds of donations a little more regularly. Let me know if you have a good cause you'd like to hear about!

No comments: