Friday, December 05, 2008

Amy and Brent, 1 Fort Mason, San Francisco



(click on the image for the slideshow)

It took me an extra long time to finish editing Amy and Brent's wedding photos, because I just couldn't narrow down my favorites. So, I'm approaching this blog post with nervousness... they had so many great details at their wedding, how can I possibly narrow it down even more?! Okay, so this is going to be an extra long post, but I don't think you guys will mind, because it is just a gorgeous wedding!



Amy had this gorgeous silent-film-star look (partly due to a fabulous hair and makeup woman, mostly due to great genes) that was echoed in her hair, makeup, dress, and even the venue itself, which was the old Officer's Club at 1 Fort Mason. But I'm getting ahead of myself - the shot above is of Amy getting ready at the Kabuki Hotel in Japantown. Then we drove through the pouring, crazy rain to the venue! Which had beautiful architecture and decorative elements like this chandelier:



plus many details by Amy and Brent and their friends and families, and perfect lighting by Got Light. Because there is such great lighting in the Bay Area naturally, I think many people are tempted to skip the lighting, but it is definitely one of the (many) touches that made this wedding so absolutely fabulous. The wedding date was November 1st, and though it wasn't exactly a Halloween (or Dia de los Muertos) themed wedding, the right amount of autumnal details really made the day special. Okay, I can't stop gushing! I'll try to shut up and focus on sharing the shots:



Amy and Brent glued glitter all over little pumpkins and then left some plain to complement all that fanciness:





I tried to pare down the number of chandelier shots... but couldn't much. Maybe Devon and I need a chandelier for the new house? Cause, you know, that's practical...



I think one reason I loved this venue so much is because I can imagine my grandparents coming here for parties in the 1940s and 50s... you never know, they were in SF society back when a ballroom was actually used for balls.



Just a touch of Halloween-y creepiness, cut with the most amazing chocolate cupcakes I have ever tasted. These were made by Sibby's Cupcakery, SO so tasty!





Cute little graphic design of a wedding cake cut into the jack-o-lanterns! You can tell that Amy and Brent really had fun with the details and decorations. I think that they had the ideal amount of DIY mixed in with hiring professionals... keeps it fun and personal, but also low-stress and easy. They also hired Michelle at Layer Cake Films to shoot Super 8, and I enjoyed getting to know her (and can't wait to see what she came up with!).



A little dramatic window light before the ceremony. I think Amy was nervous but she looked beautiful!





Short, simple and sweet ceremony (which is always a great way to go!):



We did a lot of great family and bridal portraits, all inside with extra flash, which I am really happy with. However, I'm going to cut to the chase and share the photos that have a little more element of play to them:







So debonair! Brent was looking pretty classic and classy himself.



Okay... now I know that I am getting known for getting a shoe shot (or several) at each and every wedding. But, I ask you, how can I not? With amazing shoes like these... I'm particularly a sucker for bright blue, and I looooooooooved Amy's shoes!



Another great part of this wedding was how much Amy and Brent completely adore each other. I can see that they're going to have a long, happy life together.



So here's the thing: they came down from Vancouver, B.C., to get married in San Francisco. When Brent and I chatted on the phone in the weeks prior to the wedding, we talked about the possibility of doing portraits out on the big lawn at 1 Fort Mason, and maybe even traveling down to the beach for some couple shots. Rain was a possibility, but I promised it wouldn't rain (ack!), seeing as how this was my last wedding of the season, and we had had maybe 4 days of rain since April. So... it was probably sunny and gorgeous in Vancouver, but it poured almost nonstop all day on Amy and Brent's wedding day in SF. Ah, well.

I had a vision of taking the wedding party outside with umbrellas for portraits, and then right when Amy got psyched up enough to give it a shot, and everyone made it outside, it started raining so hard we got maybe 2 shots and had to come inside!



Luckily, there were lots of great nooks inside to continue the fun:





Great toasts, including one where Brent's best man surprised Amy's bridesmaids with a mall-posed photo of the three ladies in high school. Awesome!



Once I find out who made the cupcakes, I'll be sure to update it..



The DJ was also great (and I need to get his name as well), and, again, the lighting really set a mood:









There was a lot of boogieing-on-down. A few kids changed into costumes, and these great masks made the rounds - after all, it was only a day after Halloween and people wanted to continue to celebrate!





After I ran my hands through the chandelier, I made Amy and Brent do the same. She was a big too little to reach, so Brent gave her a boost and I got these dramatic, lovely shots:





Thank you, Amy and Brent! I so enjoyed working with you two, and wish you happy years together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats (or masks) off to you for capturing some of the most beautiful moments of the day as well as some of the funniest and memorable ones. ~The Caretakers of Batman and Robin

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots, no wonder it was hard to pare down. I think that the cupcakes are from Sibby's Cupcakery in San Mateo. They rent those same stands, and one of their signature designs are those little polka dots. Also they are the most delicious cupcakes in the bay, so they must be!

Helene said...

Wow! You did an amazing job photographing them! Love ho every little detail is reflected in the pics! Love her bouquet!!