Monday, March 30, 2009

Winning image in WPJA contest! and, last chance for March Album Discount

I'm an award-winning member of the Wedding Photojournalism Association, but I'm always so happy to see one of my images place. In this case, it's in the "Food and Drink" category for the most recent contest! Here is the winning shot (11th place, I'm not complaining) and the nice comments about the photo:



The full comments read:
"JUDGES COMMENTS: Color. I admit it. I fell in love with the color. The shallow depth-of-field. The composition. The light. I love it all. Great found situation. After looking at all of the pictures in this category, I believe the key is not to photograph merely the food or beverages, but to look for said subjects being consumed or those moments, such as this, of the moments in between consumption. There were a ton of pictures of cakes and drinks, but most of them didn't offer much else. This picture does."

I almost didn't enter this image, but I love the saturated colors, so it was exciting to see that the judges enjoyed it, too. These crazy-fun drinks were at Joelle and Chris's reception last fall.

The same morning I found out that this image placed in the WPJA contest, I received information telling me that I've been nominated for a 2010 Sonoma County Artist Award for Emerging Visual Artists! Phew, that's a mouthful. And a lot of work, since I will be up against dozens of other great artists, and will need to come up with a new project, an artist's statement, and more for the application. I've got some ideas and will be sharing more about this as I go through the process of applying... It sounds so cheesy, but it really is just such an honor to be nominated.

Finally, tomorrow (March 31st) is your last day to save 10% on placing a custom final album order. I'm getting great response to my new line of Couture Books, and am happy to answer any questions you have, so feel free to download my album information here, drop me a line at j@jessamynharris.com, and we can get moving on an album for you!

1 comment:

Allen said...

Congratulations.
I always knew how creative you were and this photo is proof!
Great judges comments.